Thursday, July 12, 2007

Bluesfest, Days Five and Six

I had a bit of a quiet night on Monday, since I headed down a little later than usual. I caught some of In-Flight Safety, and then headed over to the River stage to see the first bit of Buddy Guy. I'm really not sure why they decided to put him on such a small stage, since it seemed like everybody was flocking to see him, and I wasn't sure if they were going to stop people from going in at one point. I did notice that a lot of people started leaving after the first 10 minutes or so, probably since they couldn't see anything. It turned out that the best place we found to watch his set was from outside the stage area, on the other side of the fence.


After checking him out for a while, we headed over to the Black Sheep stage for the Final Fantasy show. This is the third time I've seen him play and it's always an awesome show. I guess we missed the first 20 minutes or so but caught the rest to the end. Very cool, and it's a much different show at a festival than it is in a small room like the Black Sheep (where we saw him play over the winter).


Tuesday, I went over to the Flats right after work, and after getting some food I decided to lay low at the John Allaire show first. Then at 7pm I headed over to the main area to catch moe. The positive - they had some good songs, did some interesting things, and the percussionist was cool. I admit, though, that it got a little excessively jammy for me at the end, so I decided to head over to the other stage a little early to get a good spot for Randy Newman.


And am I ever glad I did. He was absolutely incredible. He had a great bond with the audience, played a fantastic choice of songs, and just outright blew me away with an all-round amazing show. In fact, I'm not sure why I don't own a single Randy Newman album. Maybe tonight I should go pick one up from the CD tent.

As for George Clinton, well, I admit it was a pretty funky show, though I'm not sure where exactly George Clinton was for most of the night. Most of the show was all about the guy in the hat, the girl in the dress, and the dude in the diaper (which I actually thought was George Clinton for the first half-hour or so). Anyway, it wasn't what I was expecting at all, but I was still happy just to listen to it sitting down in the middle of the field.

So that wraps it up for Monday and Tuesday. More to come!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you think moe. was too jammy, are you nuts. lol you should have been upfront with us to get the full effect of a moe. show.. but preytell they are a jamband.. one of the best on the scene. Rob :) (30+ moe. shows and going strong, jammy but addictive)