Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Sprites Make Me Happy

Anybody out there in need of a bit of a mood lift right now? I know I was yesterday. I was sitting at work, feeling totally wiped out from having not slept much the night before, trying to wrap my head around some rather brutal Oracle documentation and just generally feeling a little bitter and angry about pretty much everything. So I decided to indulge in a little music therapy, which required me to take instant action to achieve some form of immediate music gratification. Enter the iTunes music store!

After reading a few music blogs, I found the perfect fix for my day courtesy of CatBirdSeat (which is, incidentally, a great music blog). I've read a few posts there mentioning a band from Maryland called Sprites who have a new record coming out in early September. They put out an album in 2003 called "Starling, Spiders, Tiger and Sprites" and since it sounded pretty cool, a click or two later and I was grooving to one of the happiest and most fun albums I've heard in a very long time. I wish I had found it sooner.

A little background on Sprites, courtesy of their Wikipedia entry:
Sprites are an independent new-wave/punk music group from Maryland, USA. Their lineup is ever-changing, with only the founding members (the husband-wife duo of Jason Korzen (formerly of Barcelona) and Amy Korzen) staying constant ... The band released an album in 2003 on March Records, Starling, Spiders, Tiger and Sprites, and has done some touring, including a United States tour with The Lucksmiths. Their second album, Modern Gameplay, is due out in August 2006 through Darla Records.
So I might have a new band addiction. And I feel much better. There's a great track from their new record called I Started a Blog Nobody Read that was posted on Catbirdseat yesterday. But I'm going to post this song straight from their website instead. If this doesn't make you feel at least a little better about everything, then you have no soul.

Sprites - Do It Yourself

No comments: