Friday, January 20, 2006

A Little Music Video Zen

I think that I shall dedicate this list of video fun to Record Runner, who is closing for good tomorrow. It has served as my perfect escape on those not-so-cheery days for as long as I can remember. What can I say, some people buy shoes, some people buy books; I would go to Record Runner and I usually ended up coming back with something new and exciting in my grubby little hands to play when I got back home again. Since they were really the only place that would carry a lot of the indie stuff I like, I'm going to have to find another blah-mood outlet. I'm also getting a little tired of condos taking over downtown. But that's a subject for another not-so-cheery rant.

On to the fun!

The Decemberists - Sixteen Military Wives
Not new (2004, I believe?) but a cool video that deserves to be posted here.

Architecture In Helsinki - Do The Whirlwind
Their site is all in flash, so you'll have to click into the video section to find it. Great video for those of us who like our animation in 8-bit glory.

The Morning After Girls - Run For Our Lives
I just started getting into these guys recently; Australian neo-psych band with a bit of a kick. Also relevant to this list since their album is the last thing I bought at Record Runner.

Boy Least Likely To..- Be Gentle With Me
This song is very happy. And who doesn't love having a puppet band?

Ben Meinhardt - Dancing Animals In Love
Not really a band's video, but this was a project he did for the Vancouver Film School, and I would be a loser if I didn't post it here.

Pink Floyd - Careful With That Axe, Eugene
For those who enjoy their psychedelia without the "neo" prefix, here are the original psych masters in a live performance of CWTA,E from 1973.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Moddy said...

My two cents: I think you should've picked AIH's Like A Call. It's way more Japonesque, and consequently far more cute and cool than Whirlwind.