Friday, September 15, 2006

Catching Up On Everything

I've always believed that Friday was a great day to get caught up on all those things that have been neglected over the course of the week, and since my good friend and co-blogospherian Moddy managed to find the time to update her space, I've been inspired to get all caught up with the events of the week and previewing the week to come. Ready? Here we go.

It's been busy times as usual for the Reverb Syndicate, as we're getting things ready for our CD Release on Saturday, September 23rd. (The poster was done by our friend Ben, the ubiquitous Commodore 64.) Agent Ampeg did a little interview with the CBC Radio show Bandwidth about bands "getting the word out about themselves", and specifically about the radio play we did on CKCU. That should be airing this Saturday around 5pm, at which time, we will be very likely in or around Sudbury to play a show at the Townehouse. I've never been to Sudbury, but apparently this is a really great place to play, so it should be a lot of fun. We're also hoping to show up in the local papers next week since we did some interviews with them. And we have a MySpace page now, so if you have one too you should make us your friends. So, everything is pretty exciting on the band front, and I really hope everyone is able to come out to the show next weekend! It will be guaranteed good times.

I picked up a couple of new albums this week, both of which have me totally grooving out. Sovtek: you would totally dig both of these. I'll bring them to Sudbury.

The Asteroid #4 - An Amazing Dream

The Asteroid #4 were a band I hadn't listened to until a couple of weeks ago, when I found that they were streaming their new album and decided to give it a listen. I was immediately hooked from track one. They're a great neo-psychedelic type band from Philadelphia. Lots of spacy vocals and harmonies. Go ahead and listen.

The Strawberry Smell - Odorama

Okay, I didn't really know what to make of these guys at first glance. They're from Avignon, France. They're all dressed in white spacesuits in some retro-yet-futuristic space capsule. And they're called "The Strawberry Smell" which I thought was a bit of a silly name. But they had a great website (SuperHomard) and when I listened to the CD, it blew me away. Some of this album is very Beatles-esque. They have songs up on their MySpace which is probably the best place to have a listen.

Other than that, I've been keeping busy with some projects and things that will probably manifest themselves here soon, like old reel-to-reel scavenger hunts, a bit of old band nostalgia, going to shows (Corb Lund is tonight!) and some other stuff that I'll get around to neglecting to post about next week. But since it's Friday, and this post is already miles too long, here's what made me love the internet this week. First of all, I saw this video and almost cried laughing. It's called Your Studio and You, was done by Trey Parker and Matt Stone, and is supposed to be a mock-employee training video for Universal Studios in (probably) the 50's. It's unreal how many actors they got to appear in it. Totally worth watching all the way through. I now also want a wine cooler and deer on my lawn.


Finally, this one's for B, the current Drowning In Reverb Diligent Blog And MySpace Commentary Award front-runner. It's a video for Chinese Translation by M. Ward. I think it screams for you to see it. Because you're such a folkie. You know it.


Til' next time.

No comments: