Shortly after we arrived here, I picked up a great little book called Edinburgh - 40 Town and Country Walks by Kerry Nelson. I really liked the look of it for many reasons, such as how most of the walks were outside of downtown Edinburgh in places we'd probably never find ourselves. There were also walks of all different terrains and durations, but the thing that ultimately sold me on it was how it tells you how to get to each trailhead by bus. All the other books I saw assume you have a car and provide driving directions to the nearest parking lot. This one tells you which bus to take, and where to get off, which is invaluable information for those of us non-car owners. (Besides, needing a car to go walking is almost a contradiction.)It turned out to be a really good move - I felt like we were really away from the city in some parts. We did battle with a bit of rain: the first time it started we were close to a pub, so we had a pint and waited for it to pass before continuing on the trail. The second time it started raining we weren't so lucky, but we were about to head off the trail towards downtown anyway.
Anyway, there were so many awesome things on the way, I decided to put up a captioned slideshow of photos from the Water of Leith walk (or alternately you can check out the plain version.) Just click on the signpost below to begin! Note: I've had a couple of people claim that these slideshows don't work for them, so please let me know if they don't work for you!)
No comments:
Post a Comment